With the Christmas period fast approaching, local people are reminded about the range of health and care options if they need some advice or care.
Whilst self-care is generally the best option for minor, short term conditions, it is important that local people know where to go or who to contact if they are unwell, so that they can receive the best possible treatment in the quickest time for their condition.
Service availability will be different over the holiday period, and whilst GP Practices will not be open on the Bank Holidays, evening, weekend and Bank Holiday appointments are available via the GP extended hours service.
Dr. Jeffrey Schryer, Chair of NHS Bury Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and local GP said: “Keeping a well-stocked medicine cabinet and a well-prepared first aid kit at home can help you deal with the most common illnesses and minor injuries at home.
“If you are poorly there is a range of support available including online and on the phone advice every day. The NHS 111 service can offer advice, signpost you to a local service and arrange a face to face appointment for you if you need one. There is also expert advice about minor ailments and illnesses without an appointment available at your local community pharmacy.”
- The NHS website is your complete guide to conditions, symptoms and treatments, including what to do and when to get help.
- NHS 111, online or call (dial) 111 if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Answer questions about your symptoms on the website or on the phone, and depending on your situation, you may be given self-care advice; find out what local service can help you; be connected with a health care professional or offered a face to face appointment if you need one.
- Community Pharmacies can offer clinical advice and over-the-counter medicines for a range of minor illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains. Pharmacies open on the 25th and 28th December 2020, and 1st January 2021 are listed below (correct at time of publication, please check before you travel):
|Address||Friday 25/12/20 Christmas Day||Monday 28/12/20
Boxing Day (substitute)
|Pimhole Pharmacy||185 Rochdale Road Bury BL9 7BB||10am -10pm||5pm -10pm||5pm -10pm|
|Manor Pharmacy||367 Brandlesholme Road Bury BL8 1HS||12 noon – 4pm||Closed||Closed|
|Boots||32-36 The Mall Bury Lancs BL9 0QQ||Closed||10.30am – 4.30pm||Closed|
|Boots||Unit 1 Woodfields Retail Park Peel Way Bury BL9 5BY||Closed||11am – 5pm||Closed|
|Asda Pharmacy||Pilsworth Road Pilsworth Bury BL9 8RS||Closed||9am – 6pm||10am – 5pm|
|Asda Pharmacy||Riverside Retail Park Pilkington Way Radcliffe M26 3DA||Closed||9am – 6pm||10am – 5pm|
|Asda Pharmacy||Spring Street Bury Lancs BL9 0RN||Closed||9am – 6pm||10am – 5pm|
|Tesco In-Store Pharmacy||Peel Way Bury Lancs BL9 5BY||Closed||9am – 1pm||Closed|
|Tesco In-Store Pharmacy||Bury New Road Prestwich Manchester M25 7BL||Closed||9am – 1pm||Closed|
- GP Practices won’t be open on the Bank Holidays, however, the GP extended hours service will be available as usual in the evening, at the weekend and on Bank Holidays. Available on a pre-bookable or book on-the-day basis. Patients should contact their GP Practice first for availability.
- For urgent medical care out of hours, call your GP practice number for further instructions.
- Only use the Emergency Department (A&E) and the 999 service in critical or life-threatening situations.
Dr. Schryer continued: “It’s best to order any repeat prescriptions in good time before the holiday period. If over the holiday you find you have a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste, it could be coronavirus. Self-isolate at home and get tested as soon as you can.”
- A range of coronavirus testing options are available including on the Bank Holidays, find out all of your options and how to book online or by calling 119.
- If you feel you need some emotional wellbeing support, there’s lots on offer including Bury’s Getting Help Line, support online and by text, find out more here.
DATE: 17th December 2020